• General
  • Dover-Calais
  • UK-Zeebrugge
  • UK-Europoort
  • Liverpool-Dublin

Are you ready for Brexit? 

New arrangements could have a significant effect on the way you conduct your business if you operate across the UK border. If you are sending freight for shipping on our ferries after Brexit, you must ensure that your driver has all the relevant documentation for the load before reaching the port.

To prepare for making customs declarations for goods imported or exported by your business, you will need an Economic Operator Registration Identification (EORI) number. HMRC have written to all VAT registered businesses that currently trade in goods with the EU and/or the rest of the world to explain changes to customs procedures and VAT for the UK-EU. This can be found at:

You can continue to make bookings in the usual way at

You will then need to ensure that your documents are logged in the relevant customs system and that your drivers have the Movement Reference Numbers (MRN) for each export and import consignment. This includes moving goods into or through the UK under the Common Transit Convention (CTC).

For goods travelling from the UK to EU countries, there will be a requirement for carriers or agents to ensure that they log a Safety and Security Declaration in the relevant customs system. The UK has waved its requirement for a Safety and Security declaration for imports into the UK for the first six months after Brexit, although this might change in the future.

You may also need prepare for any phytosanitary or veterinary inspections if you are transporting live animals, products of animal origin, plants and plant products, and high-risk food.

The application process and data you will need to submit will vary from country to country. The links on this site provide further information to explain how this might affect both you and your customers, and what steps you may need to take to continue operating in the EU. The situation is, however, evolving but you can monitor the position closely through the official websites in each country.

A comprehensive guide of what this means for traders and shippers can be found alongside UK Government’s Partnership Pack here: and a checklist for hauliers can be found at:

Further information for our freight customers will appear on this site shortly. In the meantime, if you have any specific questions please direct them to


This page contains links to websites owned and operated by third parties, these links are provided for your information and convenience only and are not an endorsement by P&O Ferries. If you use these links you will be leaving

P&O Ferries has no control of the content of any linked website and is not responsible for these websites or their content and availability.

French Customs have written a guide of their customs and border procedures, available here: and in English here: .

If you are shipping multiple consignments in a single load from the UK to France, you must  first create an envelope of declarations that will be transported in the same transport unit (truck, trailer, etc.). Please see visit  The driver will be able to present the envelope barcode at check in and will not have to present all the declarations.

See Dover Harbour Board's guidance to see how you can prepare.

The Port of Zeebrugge Authority have produced a portal for Belgian authorities, available here: . The Zeebrugge port community system has developed a portal at: After Brexit, it is mandatory to pre-notify all customs documents via the RX/Seaport port community system and you should register with them now.

In the Netherlands, organisations in the Dutch ports have worked with partners to launch an information campaign website, available After Brexit, it is mandatory to pre-notify all customs documents via the Portbase port community system and you should register now at:

Information from the Irish Government is available here:

If you are moving animals and animal products from the Liverpool to Dublin, you need to establish whether the animal product you are importing is subject to veterinary controls and register with the Department of Agriculture Food and the Marine (DAFM) at: