What do you need to do?
- You will need to register with HMRC to use ‘The Goods Vehicle Movement Service’ (GVMS) in order to generate a GMR ID. (This is a one-time process.)
- For each shipment, you will need to obtain a Goods Movement Record (GMR) from the GVMS system. There are two options on how to do this outlined at the bottom of this page. Your customs declarations will need to be linked together within the single GMR. Each GMR contains details for a single crossing and can be used only once.
- Verify your GMR ID via the GVMS system before travelling to the port to ensure that it is approved for travel. This will prevent unnecessary delays at check-in.
- Both Liverpool and Dover use the ‘Arrived export process’. This means that if goods for GB export require inspection you will be notified and must ensure that the inspection is completed prior to entering the port. The GMR will be rejected at check-in if an inspection was required but was not completed.
- Provide your driver with the GMR barcode which can be quickly and easily scanned at check-in. This will ensure that vehicles can proceed as quickly as possible.
- The GMR ID will be validated with HMRC at check-in. If the GMR is approved by HMRC the vehicle will be able to proceed to boarding. If the GMR is invalid, the vehicle will not be able to check-in. the reason will be given to the driver and the vehicle will be asked to leave the queue. You will need to resolve the issue in GVMS before the vehicle can be checked in.
- Drivers travelling to Calais can check the customs status of their vehicle using the on-board screens in the drivers lounge.
- All Customers using GVMS can view the status of the GMR via the gov.uk service.
TWO OPTIONS FOR CREATING GMRs
You can use BEEMS Pre-lodgement to obtain your GMR. It is a purpose-built online product, which you will find on our parent company, DP World’s, CARGOES Community platform. The user-friendly tool connects direct to the Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS) and offers users real-time status updates and notifications on your GMR.
*This is a paid for service
Alternatively you can use the UK government’s free (GVMS) system to create a GMR.