Whether you’re shipping pets or travelling with your own personal pets, you can bring them aboard a P&O ferry. However, they must be declared to the P&O Freight office at least 24 hours before arrival and you must have the required paperwork to hand.
When travelling with or shipping pet(s) the following requirements need to be met:
- You must have an approved, direct freight account in place prior to shipment of or travel with pet(s). Non-account, cash payments on the day of travel will not be accepted. Pets must be pre-advised. Undeclared pets arriving at the port will be refused.
- All Dogs/Cats/Ferrets must be micro chipped and have a 'pet passport'. All details contained therein must correspond.
- All Dogs/Cats/Ferrets must meet UK legal requirements including the requirement of the DEFRA 'Pet Travel Scheme' (including, without limitation, the holding of a Pet Passport and evidence of micro chipping and Rabies vaccination). Full details of which are available on www.defra.gov.uk.
- For Freight Drivers carrying their own personal pet, you must fulfill points 2 and 3 of the criteria detailed above plus:
- You can carry no more than 3 personal pets.
- All freight pet shipments must be non-commercial and certified as the freight driver’s own pet(s). There may be NO sale or transfer of ownership of pets.
- For Pet Carriers only, you must fulfill the criteria detailed above plus:
- Your approved account name and number must also appear on the P&O Ferries’ “Approved Pet Carrier” list. Freight drivers carrying their own personal pet(s) are exempt from this rule.
- All freight pet shipments must be non-commercial and certified as pets being repatriated via an authorised 'Approved Pet Carrier’ as a result of relocation or repatriation. There may be NO sale or transfer of ownership of pets.
- Vehicle Approval Certificate and Transporters Authorisation as approved by the Competent Authority must be provided.
- All pets must have a 'Declaration of Ownership' document signed by the owner of the animal, proving that pets are being reunited with their owners. We therefore do not accept rescue/charity animals, or any animal being adopted.
- Pets must arrive in the UK no more than 5 days before, or after, the arrival date of the owner and documented proof of travel of the owner must be provided.
All shipments of pets must be declared to the P&O Freight office at least 24 hours before arrival and required documents must be provided both in advance and on arrival. All provided document details must correspond.
P&O Ferries Holdings Ltd reserve the right to refuse shipment at any time.
If you would like to apply for an account to ship pets with us, the following is required:
- Account Application form
- Vehicle Approval Certificate
- Transporters Authorisation
An account will not be considered until all the requested documentation has been received. Documentation will be checked in collaboration with DEFRA and other relevant authorities.
Depending on the company location, credit required (if any) and welfare checks etc, an account may take up to 5 working days to set up, after documentation has been received.
If we have any cause for concern, the account application will be rejected.
If you are an existing account holder and wish to become an “Approved Pet Carrier” please send your account number, Vehicle Approval Certificate and Transporters Authorisation documents.
To request an Account Application Form, or to submit documents, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be advised that continued checks will be made against account activity in collaboration with DEFRA and other relevant authorities. If there is any cause for concern, the account will be closed immediately.